A personal umbrella insurance policy offers an extra layer of liability protection for your assets if there’s a serious auto accident or accident on your property. Otherwise, you could be liable for more than your current auto or homeowners coverage limits.
How personal umbrella insurance coverage works:
Consider this scenario:
- Your homeowners insurance policy provides $600,000 of liability coverage.
- A serious accident occurs on your property, and you’re sued for $1.6 million resulting in a judgment against you.
- Your insurance would pay up to $600,000 for a covered accident, but you would need to come up with the remaining $1 million.
If you had $2 million of coverage under an umbrella insurance policy, you would not need to liquidate your assets to pay the remaining $1 million in this example.
Personal liability insurance helps protect your wages, house, investments, cars and boats from being at risk if a serious accident occurs. Talk to your personal agent at Kazerouni Insurance Services to find out what the best level of coverage is for your situation.
You may need an Umbrella policy to insure your assets if you:
- Own a home, condo or auto
- Own a secondary or seasonal home
- Have a youthful driver in your household
- Have a swimming pool, hot tub, swing set or trampoline in your yard
- Own a boat, jet ski, ATV, RV or motorcycle
- Participate in recreational activities such as skiing, golf, etc.
- Travel outside the United States
- Own rental property
- Want to cover your future earnings and retirement